Rapido Trains is Canada’s largest manufacturer of model trains. It has produced more models of Canadian trains than any other model train company. Rapido is run by people who love trains, and it seeks to recreate the whole rail travel experience in miniature form. Our high-quality HO- and N-scale models operate and include features like interior lighting and accurate locomotive sounds.
We practice equity hiring and strongly encourage people from marginalized communities and intersecting identities to apply, including people from non-academic backgrounds.
Join Rapido Trains as a Project Manager! Are you looking to feed your model train hobby even more?
As a PM, you will:
- Work unsupervised while meeting important deadlines
- Research and recommend model railroading products viable for Rapido production
- Research and obtain accurate information about products selected by the management for production
- Become the subject matter expert on products under your purview
- Create accurate drawing files of project in vector-based software to send to the factory teams for 3D CAD
- Work with the factory teams during production of factory designs and drawings
- Manage design process and provide corrections as needed through the process
- Follow through with factory staff to ensure that the design is finalized and needed corrections are done
- Oversee the inclusion of all operational functions such as lights & sounds
- Produce production vector artwork for decoration, including road numbers and detailed part diagrams
- Provide information required to enable production of posters, flyers, web content, marketing material, operator manuals, packaging, and labelling as needed
- Create and maintain up to date information on your projects in the appropriate computer folders.
- Evaluate, test and report on pre- and post-production products for fidelity to design, quality, performance and aesthetics
- Create post-release project summaries for projects assigned, focusing on lessons learned, known QC issues and model accuracies, all with an eye towards improving future projects
- Work as part of the Rapido design team, contributing to group problem solving, design reviews and discussions
- Proficient in 2D drawing using Adobe Illustrator or Corel (ok boomer)
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat) and MS Office
- Graphic design ability
- Able to translate measurements into drawings
- Detail-oriented and able to spot and fix mistakes
- Organized and able to work on a tight deadline
- Team player—preference given to actual retired NHL Montreal Canadiens team players. No Bruins or Senators accepted
- Able to count rivets (this is not a joke)
- Able to participate in train shows, dealer conferences, exhibitions, video promotions or any other promotional activity
The Ideal Candidate
- Has 5 years of working experience within the model railroad (or similar) industry
- Has hands-on experience with model production is a plus
- Is proficient in 3D design as well
- Actually being 3D and not 2D is also an asset
- Is a certified train nerd with knowledge of prototype railroads and equipment
- Is excellent at managing competing demands and communicating effectively
- Thrives in a creative environment with ability to balance simultaneous projects and tasks
- Feels comfortable communicating with clients, partners, and transit agencies in a professional manner
- Is self-motivated to manage their own schedule and collaborating with team members
- Able to modulate the main deflector to emit a polarized tachyon pulse (in under four minutes)
- You know a lot of railfans or transit people we can tap into
- You do not need to know how to drive a Zamboni, but it would be really cool if you did
Does this sound like you? Please email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line: Project Manager Role.
We hope you, too, can become a Trainfluencer!