Pre-order Now! Read More Master Class
Update on the CNR H-6 Project: This project is on hold for now, but we are still accepting pre-orders and will start tooling once we have reached enough orders for the H-6 project to be viable.
Originally built for the Canadian Northern Railway, Canadian National’s H-6 class 4-6-0 were a light, general-purpose locomotive perfectly suited to freight or passenger work across the entire CNR system. They lasted in regular service into the late 1950s with several being preserved after the end of steam.
CNR H-6-d 1532 is seen at Palmerston, Ontario in July, 1958. James Walder photo, John Riddell collection.
Over the years, several modifications were made to the class which created some visually distinct locomotives. These include but are not limited to installing new steel cabs to replace the original wooden ones, conversion of part of the fleet from coal to oil fired, and wooden extensions to the tender bunker for those units that continued using coal. Rapido’s H-6 will feature many optional details to accurately portray H-6s in several configurations and sub-classes, including:
- Coal (with or without an extended bunker) and Oil tenders
- Wood or steel cabs
- Manual or power reversers
- Vertical or horizontal slat pilots
- Two different bell locations
- Two different headlight sizes
The H-6s drive will incorporate our smooth-running gear drive with flywheel allowing sure and silent operation. All models will be DCC ready, and sound equipped models will be fitted with custom sound decoders that feature synchronized effects for ultimate realism. Lighting effects will include headlights, marker lights, number boards and flickering firebox.
The Rapido HO Scale CNR H-6-d/g Model Features:
- Designed from blueprints and field measurements
- Factory-applied details specific for each road number
- Smooth-running drive and heavy diecast weight centred above the drivers for exceptional pulling power
- Blackened metal wheels and driving rods
- Working head, marker and classification lights, as well as a flickering firebox light*
- DCC sound version includes synchronized chuff, accurate whistle, bell and many other effects!**
- Accurate and complete piping, underbody and tender details
- Accurate paint and decoration
- 18” Minimum radius (22" recommended)
* Not all lighting effects available on Silent versions. ** User-controlled sound features only accessible on DCC layouts. The Rapido HO Scale CNR H-6 will come available in two paint schemes – the tilted vermillion wafer and the horizontal vermillion wafer, both applied to the tender – plus two painted/unlettered variations. The tender is also available separately.
The MSRP for the Rapido CNR H-6 is $599.95 (DC/DCC/Sound) and $499.95 (DC/Silent). We are taking reservations now for what we are sure will be the ultimate HO scale H-6 models. Talk to your dealer or reserve direct. As usual, these locomotives will be made to order.