HO Scale Tempo
June 2018 marks the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Tempo, a unique CN passenger train that operated between Toronto, Windsor, Sarnia and Chicago. For those of us of a certain age, the Tempo was as much a part of the Toronto railroad scene as the CN Tower and Union Station. It’s our railroad history, and we haven’t forgotten it.
The Tempo was transferred to VIA Rail Canada in 1978 and in 1983, the Tempo coaches were converted from 575V to 480V so they could be hauled by VIA LRC and Amtrak F40 locomotives, usually on the International between Toronto and Chicago. In 1987 most of the passenger cars were sold to the Rio Grande Ski Train. In 2009 the Tempo was sold back to CN for use on the Algoma Central and the Agawa Canyon Tour Train. The Tempo is still in service today, 50 years later.
The Tempo coaches were built by Hawker-Siddeley and were the first aluminum, head end power (HEP) equipped passenger cars in the national fleet. CN rebuilt six RS-18 locomotives, increasing the length of the short hood to install a Cummins diesel generator which provided HEP for the coaches. This new “MRE-18g” class of locomotives received a striking orange and white paint scheme.
The Tempo is all about modern comfort. The 82-seat coaches feature comfortable seating, overhead reading lamps and doors that opened at the touch of a button. If your passengers are feeling hungry they can stroll to the cafe, where microwave ovens prepare piping hot food in just seconds. First class “club cars” feature ultra-comfortable 2+1 seating and hot meals served at your seat.
The Rapido HO Scale Tempo box set features:
- One RS-18 MRE-18g Tempo locomotive (DC/DCC/Sound or DC/Silent)
- One Tempo Coach Car
- One Tempo Club Car
- One Tempo Cafe-Bar-Lounge Car
- Two commemorative Tempo tumblers
- 100 commemorative Tempo cocktail napkins
- Tempo 50th Anniversary Photo Book
Each HO Scale Tempo RS-18 model features:
- Correct hood and roof profiles 3D scanned from the prototype
- Extended short hood complete with HEP equipment on the roof
- Incredible underframe detail including traction motor cables and other piping
- Rapido’s innovative dead straight metal side handrails with plastic stanchions
- Operating number boards, headlights and green and white class lights and cab control stand lighting
- Separate grab irons and wire handrails installed at the factory
- Highly detailed illuminated cab control stand. Yes, we said illuminated!
- Heavy, die-cast chassis and full, multi-colour/color interior
- Rapido’s proven 5-pole skew-wound motor with dual flywheels and silky-smooth drive
- DC/Silent (21-pin DCC Ready) or DC/DCC/Sound (ESU LokSound)
- Accurate sounds recorded from a real Alco 251B prime mover
- Factory-installed Macdonald-Cartier couplers mounted at the correct height
Each HO Scale Tempo passenger car features:
- Scaled from blueprints and field measurements
- Full, multi-colour interior with individually-installed seats
- Complete underbody with separate piping and conduit
- Free-rolling, ball-bearing wheelsets
- Track-powered interior lighting and working marker lights
- Etched-metal end gates
The Rapido Tempo complete set is available in 2 different paint schemes – Canadian National and VIA Rail – with two sets of each scheme offered. Additional cars are also available for both CN and VIA, as well as the Algoma Central/Agawa Canyon Tour Train. Undecorated coaches are also available (Undecorated cafe and club cars are not being offered).
Please note the Algoma Central/Agawa Canyon Tour Train cars are a conditional announcement. These cars WILL NOT be made unless orders reach our minimum production threshold.
In Canada, the MSRP for sets is $599.95 (DC/Silent) and $699.95 (DC/DCC/Sound). The MSRP for single cars is $119.95.
For USA and International customers, the MSRP for sets is $529.95 (DC/Silent) and $649.95 (DC/DCC/Sound). The MSRP for single cars is $109.95.
As usual, the Tempo equipment will be made to order.