HO Scale VIA F40PH Locomotive
HO Scale VIA F40PH Locomotive Relaunch
Built between November 1986 and April 1989 by GMDD in London, Ontario, a total of 59 state-of-the-art F40PH-2D locomotives were purchased by VIA Rail Canada. Delivered in the trademark yellow VIA nose but with a light grey carbody featuring a blue banner stripe, they quickly became the mainstay of VIAs fleet and continue to be used on most services throughout the VIA network today.
Beginning in 2006, the 54 remaining units (not including 6422, 23, 30, 47 and 50 that had been retired previously) were rebuilt into an attractive new “Green Choice” paint scheme to match the appearance of the GE-built P42DCs. The rebuild featured freshly overhauled and upgraded prime movers, a complete rewiring and aftermarket, computerized control systems. These units (except 6400, partially rebuilt in 2006 but scrapped following an accident in 2010) also received a prominent extension on the rear porch to house a new, separate HEP engine and alternator. Amongst other improvements, the separate HEP package allows for fuel savings, as the prime mover no longer is required to run at full speed. The Renaissance Rebuild project, completed with the release of 6453 in November 2012, was said to extend the lives of the F40PH-2Ds for another 15-20 years.
- 100% accurate Canadian details
- Full underframe detail including piping and conduit
- Numerous etched-metal parts including radiator grills
- Accurate Canadian roof fans with correct number of blades
- Full interior detail including desktop control stand
- Fully operating ditch lights, headlights and red class lights
- DCC models come equipped with ESU LokSound with accurate recordings
- Rapido’s proven 5-pole, skew-wound motor and silky-smooth drive system
- Macdonald-Cartier metal knuckle couplers mounted at the correct height
- Numerous optional details such as an air conditioning unit, bug deflector, and later style air filter screens
And let’s not forget about the Rebuilt F40PH-2D. It features the same amazing level of detail as our Original F40PH-2D but also includes:
- Retooled body with different spotting details, including the new rear HEP extension
- Radiator fans, rads and cabling visible through the HEP grilles
- Operating emergency light
- Operating 3rd “Turn it off, it’s too bright” Xenon headlight
- Accurate sounds recorded from a rebuilt F40PH-2D including the HEP generator, emergency horn and two types of VIA E-Bell recordings
Numerous paint schemes and advertising wraps available for both as-built and rebuilt models. Please note that all of the special advertising paint schemes will require a minimum number of orders for us to proceed with the project. We don’t want that to happen. We’re big fans of VIA Rail here at Rapido in case you couldn’t tell, so make sure you get your orders in or you may never see these schemes offered again!
|Available regular paint schemes:|
|VIA Rail (as delivered)||VIA Rail (Canada scheme)|
|VIA Rail Canada (Rebuilt)|
|Available special paint schemes:
Note: These schemes will only be produced if we receive a minimum number of orders by the deadline
|Home Hardware (1997-2002)||Kool-Aid (2000)|
|CBC 50th (2002-2010)||Operation Lifesaver (2003-2011)|
|Telus (2002-2004)||Coors Light Silver Bullet Express (2011)|
Prices vary depending on the model and paint scheme.
In Canada, the MSRP is $349.95 or $359.95 (DC/DCC/Sound) and $239.95 or $249.95 (DC/Silent).
In the United States and the rest of the world, the MSRP is $309.95 or $319.95 (DC/DCC/Sound) and $209.95 or $219.95 (DC/Silent).
The order deadline for these models is Dominion Day, July 1, 2018.
Delivery is expected in Fall 2018.