HO Scale Alco/MLW FA-2 & FPA-2
HO Scale Alco/MLW FA-2 & FPA-2
Rapido Trains Inc. is pleased to announce the definitive HO scale model of the Alco/MLW FA-2 and FPA-2.
The FA-2 was Alco’s response to the ubiquitous EMD F7 that was swiftly becoming the locomotive of choice for many freight and passenger railroads. The FA-2 was intended for freight service while the FPA-2 included a steam generator and obligatory large water tank for heating passenger cars. Our models will have the correct details for each version.
Delivered between October 1950 (Erie 736A) and June 1956 (L&N 211), a total of 283 FA-2 and FPA-2 locomotives were built by Alco-GE in Schenectady, New York for 12 different American railroads. A further 51 FA-2 and FPA-2 locomotives were built under licence by Montreal Locomotives Works for CP, CN and NdeM. Each 1600-HP locomotive had a 12-cylinder Alco 244 prime mover and GE air-cooled turbocharger. It took some time for Alco to design out the issues in this combo resulting in significant reputational damage to the Alco-GE partnership.
Even after the fitment of a new water-cooled turbocharger and upgraded engine components the FAs required more maintenance than the rival EMD machines, which accounts for why these locomotives rarely lasted past 1970 without being significantly rebuilt.
- Correct water/fuel tank combination for the FPA-2
- Dynamic Brakes
- Vertical battery box louvers
- Prototype-specific details
- Underbody piping and conduit
- Nose louvers for B&O
- Trainphone Antenna for PRR
In all, we are actually tooling four different fuel and fuel/water tanks: two FA-2 fuel tanks (one for CP and one for everyone else) and two FPA-2 fuel/water tanks (one for CP/CN and one for everyone else).
Most importantly, ours is the ONLY FA model ever produced that was scaled from a 3D scan of the prototype, FPA-4 #6765 in Exporail. The nose on our model is the only one guaranteed to be the correct shape, as it’s the only one designed from a 3D scan! It is quite different from the nose used on older models.
Our HO Scale Alco/MLW FA-2/FPA-2 features:
- HO Scale DC or DC/DCC/SOUND
- 5-pole, skew-wound motor with excellent slow-speed performance
- Operating number boards, headlights and two-color class lights
- Roadname-specific details
- Dynamic brakes
- Etched-metal grilles (Farr or chicken wire, as appropriate)
- Full underbody piping and conduit
- Correct, roadnames-specific FA-2 and FPA-2 fuel tanks
- Separate grab irons and handrails installed at the factory
- Heavy, die-cast chassis
- Full cab interior
- Accurate sounds recorded from a real Alco 244 prime mover
- Factory-installed Macdonald-Cartier couplers mounted at the correct height
The MSRP is $225 (DC) and $325 (DC/DCC/Sound). The MSRP in Canada may increase slightly depending on the value of the Canadian dollar at time of delivery.
As usual, these engines will be made to order.
The order deadline has now closed. Please contact your dealer.
Delivery is expected in late summer 2017.
For a full listing of first run paint schemes click here.
Click on the prototype images below for hi-res version.