1:76 BCT Guy Arab IV
1:76 Birmingham Guy Arab IV
Rapido is excited to unveil its first 1:76 Scale model bus, the Birmingham City Transport (BCT) ‘New Look’ Guy Arab IV.
With the word “FORWARD” emblazoned beneath its coat of arms, the city of Birmingham has been the industrial and technological hub of the United Kingdom. Reflecting its home at the forefront of industrial development, the adoption of concealed radiators by BCT really made the industry sit up and take notice.
Under development from 1948 and delivered from 1950, the New Look buses gained their nickname from fashion designer Christian Dior’s ‘New Look’ dresses of the late 1940s. The BCT New Look had a radical impact on bus development in the 1950s, with variations of the New Look front appearing all over the country in subsequent years.
Just as the Birmingham New Look revolutionized bus design, Rapido Trains Inc. presents a radically different approach to British bus models. Our model is based on a 3D scan of the real JOJ 976 in the collection of the Transport Museum, Wythall. This ensures that all of the proportions match precisely to those of the real thing, especially the complex curves of the front and rear domes and the “New Look” bonnet itself.
We will be releasing two paint schemes in the first release: BCT Blue/Cream with Khaki Roof (with gold or black numbers) and WMPTE Oxford Blue/Cream with Khaki Roof. Similar Guy Arab IV buses with Met-Camm bodies were operated by other transport operators around the UK so we will also be producing an undecorated kit for modellers that wish to build and paint their own.
The 1:76 Birmingham New Look Bus will feature:
- 100% accurate proportions based on a 3D scan of the real thing
- Injection-moulded plastic and metal construction
- All body weld lines, extrusions and rivets accurately rendered
- Full, multi-coloured interior with no large posts blocking aisles
- Separate metal wire handrails and rear platform grab pole
- Separate etched-metal interior grab poles
- Steerable front wheels with rubber tyres
- Flush-fitting windows
- Accurate, even paint finish that does not obscure the details
- Several routes/destinations available plus blank destination with transfers included
- Deluxe versions feature working headlamps & interior lighting
- Deluxe versions also feature illuminated destination blinds
- Deluxe versions require a 12V 500mA DC power supply (not included)
US MSRP is £49.95 (standard) or £69.95 (deluxe).
Canada MSRP is £59.95 (standard) or £79.95 (deluxe).
Reservations may be placed now with your local model bus stockist or direct from Rapido.